Sunday 21 March 2010

WaHt mAKes A gOOd TypEFaCe?


The question of all question, what does make a good typeface? Does the perfect type has to have serifs? Does it have to have a variation of weights in a single letter?

Im in the search for the answer to this question, to personally help me create my typeface. I have created a typeface from scratch before, so I understand the stages and important decision you have to make when designing a typeface, while keeping the thought of the type anatomy in your head at all times. I have previously read books like, 'Thinking with Type' by Ellen Lupton, and 'A smile in the mind' by David Stuart, so I can just look them up again from my previous project. But I also found some great sites on the net that discuss this question, and give an unbiased view of the matter.

What makes a good typeface by Ilene Strizver, Link.

This 2 part article from Upper & Lower case magazine discusses how factors like consistency, legibility, spacing, kerning and even colour and texture are what makes a typeface good and worth your time. The other part goes on about what makes a good display typeface, but the same factors are involved except fro colour and texture.


Here is a list from ilovetypography.com, showing some really inspiring, modern typefaces. Including fonts like Giorgio Sans, Hopeless Diamond and many more.
This post from Smashing Magazine, showcases some great typefaces that are very unique and incredibly beautiful. Including fonts like Helvetica, Guardian, Tang and many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment