Saturday 24 April 2010

The mummies and the daddies | Basketica and George are born...


(When crossing the two fonts, I noted down the characteristics of each font, like with Helvetica and Baskerville, Helvetica had the structured figure with an equal thickness all around, while Baskerville had the beautiful serif and the thin weight at the top and bottom. So using the structured figure of Helvetica and the serifs from Baskerville, I mixed those traits together. I don't know whether some features should have been shown or not, but this is my first attempt and I will gradually pick up.)

After starting to actually experiment with 2 separate typefaces and creating a typeface on the bases of traits derived from both parent fonts, here is an example of what I have mocked up. I presented this to my group for some feedback, which turned out to be very helpful. I was, and still am, using 'Frank the font' as my spring board for inspiration with the hybrid typeface, and looking at frank, it was made from one beautiful black letter font and a standard san-serif font. The problem with what I'm experimenting with is that the serif fonts I'm using, don't have bold and exaggerated features like a black letter, with the decorative bowls, ears and serifs, and maybe thats where I'm going wrong. So I want to start experimenting with black letter fonts immediately!

Also the gender issue with the hybrid came up again and the only way I could rationalise that was, if the hybrid is a serif then it is a girl and if it is a san-serif then its a boy! but I want to give this another major thinking at later point.

How will I be presenting my final font?

I was thinking of maybe having a few posters with my favourite hybrid letters and actually showing them being delivered, like how a baby is delivered. But It's still a blur to me about how I really wanna show the hybrid typeface.. maybe I could just keep it simple and display it how frank the font was displayed, with both parents on either side and the hybrid in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment