Monday 19 April 2010

Andrea Tinnes | Family Affair

Andrea Tinnes
http://typecuts.com/
And a very interesting and infromative interview of her here.

I discovered Andrea Tinnes's work through a hint from Simon. She is a type and graphic designer who has done a type project on the whole concept of hybrid fonts, Family Affair: a family album of font marriages, applying genetic principles to fonts by breeding dominant and recessive character traits.

The work can be seen here.



'Family affair was created by applying the basic principles of genetics to Type Design: two original fontsmarry and multiply to produce a new, third typeface, who in turn marries and produces offspring.
The result is a family that can be tracked back over several generations.
For example, the typeface
A, for which the face Arnold Böcklin was arbitrarily selected, marries B likeBureau Agency, C like Countdown marries D like Dubbeldik, etc.
Both typefaces propagate through the combination of dominant features, which were subjectively selected by me. The so produced descendents multiply further, a process continuing over five generations.
' | (Sourced from typecuts.com)

I liked the whole idea behind the family tree, because I will also have to present my final cross bred typeface in some way, and this certainly is an option. The simplicity in the album certainly makes the typefaces look more beautiful, I just need to produce something that is better than this in much less time.


The above typeface is named WeddingSans, and it is a typeface that has been developed on further from the Family Affair idea, and I think its a very beautiful font, but I prefer the rawness of the original hybrid typefaces in the family affair project better, since WeddingSans is all polished and made for a contemporary audience, you just don't get that 'WOW' factor that you should considering the whole concept.

From this point on now, I could either experiment with existing typefaces and choose 2 final typefaces that I want to cross breed to produce some type offspring or I could experiment with 2 original fonts that I create, or I could experiment with both and see what interesting results I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment