Tuesday 12 January 2010

Gatso Typeface



This is a typeface inspired by speed cameras. It is not completely illegible, though it is set to be an abstract font. The reason behind the illegibility was to make it all cryptic, just how speed cameras are all hidden (well some are) from the motorists on the road. You can still spot the letters in there, you just have to look closely.

This is the smaller case for the font that I didn't use because I don't think it looked consistent enough with the uppercase letters, but i still think it looked rather cool, very 'future looking' in a way.
This is the smaller case I went for at the end, using negative space as to create them. It also makes them consistent looking with the uppercase so they were better suited than the circular shaped lowercase letters.

This is my type poster for the typeface. The theme was road safety. I based it around this image I found on the net, of this burned out speed camera which I thought looked very different and quite amazing so I wanted to recreate that burned look with my type. I am very pleased with the final results here, 'cause I think you do get a sense of narrative behind the font.

Gatso!

No comments:

Post a Comment